About Eden Mill
Nestled in the pristine and untouched part of the Deer Creek Valley in Pylesville, MD, Eden Mill Park is a county park composed of 118 acres of diverse habitat ranging from meadows, to forests, to wetlands, to open recreational areas.
We have a nature center, a historic grist mill museum, a handicapped accessible canoe launch, over 3 miles of hiking trails, gardens, a pavilion, picnic tables, grills, and offer family programs throughout the year.
Eden Mill Nature Committee, a 501(c)(3) organization, was formed in 1991 by a group of local community members who wanted to not only preserve the history of the mill but also form Harford County’s first nature center.
Our volunteer organization continues to grow and working hand in hand with Harford County Parks and Recreation, is dedicated to developing a greater awareness and appreciation of the natural and historical resources of the area.
Through perseverance, hard work, and their love of the park and community, Eden Mill Nature Center and Historic Grist Mill Museum, along with over 3 miles of hiking trails, were established.
The History of the Eden Mill Grist Mill:
The Mill was constructed in the early 1800's by the Stansbury family even though the first known reference to “Eden Mills” was in 1896. It was named after Sir Robert Eden or the Eden One hundred. The Stansbury family owned the mill for 85 years until 1885. In the late 1800's the mill's ownership was changed to two gentlemen named Martseller and Van Sant.Early 1800s
In 1918, a corporation of businessmen from Fawn Grove, Pennsylvania, known as the Fawn Grove Light and Power Company, purchased the mill and changed it into a power plant. This required new machinery and the rebuilding of the dam to a greater height. The conversion was completed in 1921. The new power plant provided electricity for Fawn Grove and New Park, Pa. the mill supplied 2,200 volts of electricity and provided for Smith's Canning House, Anderson's Feed Mill, and Ruff's Fawn Grove Lumber Mill.1918
In 1965, Harford County Department of Parks and Recreation acquired the mill and 57 acres that now comprise Eden Mill Nature Center and Park.1965