24aug5:45 pm8:00 pmCanoe Trip: August 24, 2023
Join us for a guided hike, but on the water in a canoe! This canoe trip is designed to acquaint participants with the natural surroundings of Deer Creek. Exploration of
Join us for a guided hike, but on the water in a canoe! This canoe trip is designed to acquaint participants with the natural surroundings of Deer Creek. Exploration of the environment is enhanced by the use of canoes to travel along the creek. The emphasis, during these relaxed excursions, is on environmental education and interpretation, provided by the naturalist who accompanies the group. Bring your family, group, or a friend and enjoy the wildness of Deer Creek.
Age Restricted Program: 6 and older.
- 6-8 years: 1 adult : 1 child
- 9-15 years: 1 adult : 2 children
$12/member or $15/ non-members
Minimum of 2 participants per canoe
ESSENTIAL ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA*
Eden Mill is committed to providing a safe canoeing experience for our visitors. To support this commitment our programs are open to all individuals who meet the minimum age criteria for that program and who have the ability to perform the following:
1. Breathe independently (i.e., not require medical devices to sustain breathing)
2. Independently maintain sealed airway passages while under water
3. Independently hold head upright without neck / head support
4. Manage personal care independently or with assistance of a companion
5. Manage personal mobility independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance
6. Follow instructions and effectively communicate independently or with assistance of a companion
7. Independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket.
8. Following instruction and demonstration get in and out of a canoe independently or with a reasonable amount of assistance.
9. Independently get out and from under a capsized canoe
10. Reenter the canoe following deep water capsize under the direction, and with the assistance of the Eden Mill staff. **
11. Maintain a safe body position while in the canoe, either seated or kneeling, for the duration of the 2 hour trip.
* These criteria are derived from the American Canoe Association Essential Eligibility Criteria as applied and adapted to the programs offered by the Eden mil Mill Nature Center.
** For an example see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pl-EnIkHW0
(Thursday) 5:45 pm - 8:00 pm